Monday, March 14, 2011

New Man

In chapter 4, Winston begins to realize many things such as, how pitiful his body is, and that he cannot be helped unless he makes himself believe what the party has to say. Winston says, "He began to write the thoughts that came to his head. He wrote fist in large clumsy capitals: FREEDOM IS SLAVERY" (Orwell 277). Winston begins to accept everything that the party has said and done. All of his dedication to keeping himself sane and not letting Big Brother corrupt him was forgotten about because he was brainwashed and convinced himself that it was right. Orwell states,"He accepted everything. The past was alterable. The past never had been altered" (Orwell 277). Not only did Winston believe these things, he didn't want to go against the Party like he had before. This change in the book is very surprising to me and i didn't see the Ministry of Love being like this on the inside.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with the statements you have made and the quotes reflect Winston's feelings perfectly.

    p.s. you copied my title jerk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I never expected the Ministry of Love to be this cruel of a place that tortured the individuals that commited crimes. I always knew it was a huge mystery of what could lie inside those walls, but the title of this Ministry condradicts what actually goes on inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my least favorite parts. I did not expect Winston to give in and I expected him to keep rebellion inside of him. The ending to the book was even worse but I agree with your views on this passage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree too, I also believe that it shows in the end when Winston meets Julia again you can see that their feelings for each other have completely changed. It is really love anymore it is more for the purpose of the party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything your saying here. Even though we had no factual evidence of what was going on inside the Ministry of Love, we expected it to be a non-violent place. However, what actually goes on, the torturing they inflict on those who have committed crimes, is the complete opposite of what we think the title stands for. I expected Winston to stay strong and continue his rebellion like he had through out the story, but he gave into Big Brother and betrayed Julia, in what I think is an awful way to end the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, the fact that Winston gives in makes me angry. I did not expect him too. I agree with Niki, I never thought that the Ministry of Love would be should harsh and cruel.

    ReplyDelete